Silas' home birth story

So excited to finally get to share my birth story! I will give as much detail as I can remember!

Friday, October 5th was homecoming for the Perryton Rangers football team and Justin and I took our last date (unknowingly) as a married couple without kids to the game that night. We came home and watched tv until about 1:00 am. Terrible decision. 4:30am of October 6th gets here and my water breaks. I was 40 weeks and 3 days pregnant. I wanted to be sure it was really my water so I laid back down for a while and timed my contractions. They were about 30-45 seconds long about about 2 minutes apart but definitely feeling different than the Braxton Hicks contractions that I had gotten so used to. After I decided I was probably in real labor, I got up and spent some time on my birth ball and called the midwife. She is 2 hours away so she said she would head over soon. I let Justin sleep until about 6:00am because I wanted to make sure he had SOME rest for the journey we had ahead. I went into our room and laid down next to him and said "babe, guess what? we're gonna have a baby today!" and I think he was instantly awake. We spent the next few hours hanging around the house, eating, talking and I worked through my contractions. Leah, my midwife, arrived at some point and got all of her supplies in. I spent a lot of time alone during contractions which was not at all what I expected. About 11:00am the contractions were getting much more intense so I told Leah I was ready to set up the birth tub. She needed to check me to make sure I was at least 5 cm dilated and when she went to check we were all super surprised to find I was at a 9! Leah was amazed that I wasn't yelling and screaming at that point and I was just very relieved. It was baby time!! Or so we thought... That was when my fairly easy labor turned very difficult. Leah & Justin got an area ready for me to birth on in the living room while I stayed in the back of the house working. I had been in labor about 6 hours at this point and Leah guessed that I had about an hour left so my labor was pretty fast and furious so far for a first time mom. My contractions became more and more painful as each one went by. Leah checked me and found that there was part of my cervix that wouldn't dilate but my body had already started pushing. I had an excruciating 3 1/2 hours of pushing and trying to get the last 1/4cm of cervix to move out of the way. At one point I started bawling and our dog Izzy started crying with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scarlett's Unassisted Birth Story + Photos

Silas' Homebirth Video...Finally!

Silas' Homebirth Story