The Birth of Archie Watson

Twenty two days. It has been 22 days since my life has been flipped upside down by the arrival of the newest member of our family. He is a precious bundle of joy who's entrance to this world changed so much of my preconceived notions about what birth in a hospital looks like.


But our journey started long before 22 days ago. You can read about my difficult pregnancy and transition out of midwifery care into medical care here. I felt from the very beginning of the pregnancy and all throughout that this baby was going to bring peace to me & our home, even when it was so challenging!

The end of Archie's pregnancy was my hardest yet- the first of the three where I felt so DONE so early on. There were days where I cried to Justin and my best friend that I couldn't keep going. It was, hands down, the most difficult pregnancy I've had yet. And on top of it, I had no clue what to expect when it came to his birth.  I started having prodromal labor (a type of labor that happens prior to the onset of full active labor, where the contractions are real but they start and stop) at 38 weeks. I had not previously experienced this before. My labors with the first two were straightforward and just kept going once they started. When I thought maybe this really was it, and then the contractions stopped, I started to question my body that I had come to fiercely trust. I struggled mentally with the idea that this was the birth that my body and this baby needed, even though it was so different. The rest of the week was contraction free though. At 39 weeks, the same thing happened and this time, I thought for sure it was real. So that evening we packed up, dropped the kids off at my parent's and headed to Pampa. On the way, we watched the most beautiful sunset and listened to my birth playlist and our doula met us there. It was calm and peaceful. We registered and got moved to a room upstairs to get checked and monitored. I was 3 centimeters dilated and 50% effaced and I needed to be 4 cm to be admitted so the nurse said she would check me in two hours and we took off climbing stairs and walking the halls. Our doula and previous midwife, Salem, is a great friend and it was so nice to have her there to talk through my concerns and fears with and just to chat about life. I didn't know then that she and her family were returning to the Philippines as missionaries this fall and looking back, that was such a sweet time spent together that I am so thankful for. 





Two hours later, we returned upstairs to Labor & Delivery to find out that I was exactly the same: 3cm and 50% effaced. I was frustrated and confused. I sat on the monitor for a while and decided to try one more time but I was starting to get tired as it was near midnight. Up and down the halls, over and over. Justin went to get us some food since we didn't have dinner. The contractions weren't picking up in intensity and I realized that I was really going to go home without a baby that night. So we sat in the lobby and all ate together while my contractions fully petered out. I was so frustrated with my body and was feeling so ready to hold my baby. I was also exhausted and grumpy. Back upstairs, she confirmed that there was no change. So we headed home and arrived around 4am. I slept like a rock that night and woke up feeling much better than the night before. I felt patient and content to wait for my little guy for the first time in two weeks. It was such a relief to not feel completely miserable. I had 16 hours total of prodromal labor before the real thing. So that next week, I focused on resting, finishing last minute things like getting Archie's coming home outfit ready, working with my mom on my maternity photos and getting our house in shape. I spent lots of time with the kiddos and Justin and with our friends at the pool and at a backyard barbecue. My mom took me to get a pedicure and get our nails done together. It was a great week and a great end to the pregnancy, honestly. So, I finally reached my due date but didn't expect Archie to come yet as Scarlett didn't come until 41 weeks & 4 days! I went for a walk with the kids and my mother that day and let Silas practice riding his bike. That day came and went, like I expected.





The next day started like all the rest. I just puttered around the house then my mom suggested we go grocery shopping that day instead of the next like I had planned because she had guessed 8/10 to be his birth date and apparently really thought she was going to be right! So we loaded the kids up and made a huge shopping trip and stocked up on extras we would need like disposable plates and toilet paper. As we were returning from the store around 2pm, I had a hot flash and I could feel a rush of hormones release through my entire body. I had to sit down for a little while when I got home. I probably should have recognized it for what it was at the time but, I didn't. With my first two labors, they began with a huge release of hormones that made me super cold and made my whole body shake for a few minutes. Apparently, every single thing about Archie's pregnancy and birth was going to be different but the hot flash was my big hormone release.  That evening, I started to feel a pinching feeling down low. It wasn't in a contraction pattern yet, just felt similar to a menstrual cramp. So I just kept going as usual. Around 11pm, it did start to come and go like a contraction. I got in bed around then and stayed up until 12:30ish and figured if it really was the start of something, I needed to get some sleep. I texted my mom and Salem to let them know there was a possibility it was tonight so just keep your phone on loud, just in case. I had contractions in my sleep but mostly slept through them until 3am when Scarlett woke up needing to go potty. Once I was awake, they immediately  became stronger and closer together and felt exactly like early active labor from Scarlett's birth. It was like I finally remembered what those contractions felt like and knew for sure it was time this time. Justin got Scarlett back down and I told him it's time and he needed to pack then I hopped in the shower and started to labor there. I had a longer active labor with both other kids so I wasn't expecting to need to hurry but Justin was totally in tune with me and knew it was going faster this time. He came in to the bathroom and told me we should hurry and then he called Salem and told her he thought we may have a baby in the van on the way to Pampa. He loaded the car with blankets and towels just in case. I had him grab a small trash can just in case I needed it before we arrived since I always throw up during transition and I put a pair of depends on in case my water broke in the car so it would contain the mess. I was dilly dallying making sure we had everything and wanting to kiss the kids goodbye but I had to stop and breathe through contractions while I was doing so. Apparently I was oblivious, haha! My mom arrived and we were off around 4am. The contractions were so strong and just seriously sucked. I put my makeup on the whole way in between them while Justin drove 85mph trying to watch for deer. We had my birth playlist on that I had worked on for months and every time I would have a contraction, I would get so annoyed with the song that was on and made Justin change it. With about 20 minutes left to drive, the contractions were just brutal and I started throwing up. So, SO glad we grabbed that trashcan! When I was done, I just kept putting on my makeup which is hilarious to me now. I was still in denial at how fast it was going and wanted to look good in my birth photos. Little did I know at the time that there would be no time for labor or birth photos!

We pulled into the hospital parking lot as I was putting on my mascara. I told Justin I could totally walk myself in so no need to drop me off by the door and I wanted him to bring all the bags in. So while he was pulling all the bags out of the trunk, I was trying to get out of the car but my contractions were on top of each other at this point and I couldn't move. Justin was urging me to walk because he could tell it was close. He ran around the back of the car and when he returned, I was on my hands and knees throwing up on the parking lot ground. I gave birth to the last two on hands and knees and Justin was starting to panic, not wanting to deliver the baby on the ground outside the hospital. So, he grabbed me up under my arms and helped me walk into the ER, leaving all our bags on the ground outside (all the while I was fussing at him that I was clearly trying to get there!) Our hospital doesn't preregister so I flew through the paperwork, realizing myself and telling them at the same time that, "the baby is coming!! Hurry!" Justin ran back out and grabbed the labor bag while I was doing paperwork. They rushed through triage while I was very loudly working through labor & crying- again, very loudly, and an ER nurse grabbed a wheel chair for me. I sat down, trying not to get completely overwhelmed by my brutal contractions. She fussed about my feet being up on the pedals of the wheel chair and I'm thinking "lady, if you don't want me to have my baby right here in the hallway, just go" and Justin luckily said what I was thinking. While I was getting in the wheelchair, another nurse came up and kept telling me "Breathe! Breathe! You have to breathe!" Justin said "She knows what she's doing!" and she stopped then. So we took off down a long hallway and she was just taking her time and trying to chat me up, asking if we knew what we were having and other questions that I didn't care about answering. I had to push myself up on the arms of the wheelchair during the contractions and over each bump. We made it to the elevator and I was just totally ignoring the chatty nurse at this point. On the way up, my water broke and it felt like a water balloon breaking. My depends caught all of it! I was super impressed. I think the nurse then realized that I really wasn't kidding and seemed relieved when the elevator doors opened to L&D. This is where it's a little fuzzy for me and it went so fast. I felt like the nurse flew around the ward to get me to my room and that the other nurses were running behind us. Justin remembers the first thing he saw was one of the nurses standing in the hall once we exited the elevator. The look on her face was one of complete shock from realizing that there wasn't much time. He said the nurse walked me around to my room and there were 3 nurses already in there and two or three more following behind. So many ladies with us! I was yelling "I'm about to have this baby! He's coming!" and they all kept saying "Don't push! Don't push!" but I was way beyond not pushing at that point, not that I would have listened anyway. As soon as we arrived to the room, I got up out of the wheelchair and went straight to the bed to stand facing the side with my hands on the bed for support and Justin was standing behind me. Two nurses kept urging me to get in the bed and I just ignored them. I was exactly where I felt I needed to be. Justin told them "She knows what she's doing. If she needs to push, let her push. Don't make her get in the bed if she doesn't want to be in the bed." He wasn't rude at all, just firm about what I wanted. I then felt the urge to push and when I realized it was almost over, I felt PURE JOY and relief like I've never felt before in my life. This pregnancy was almost over! I had the biggest smile on my face. It felt to me as if the room and the world were spinning and moving so fast but Justin and I were the only two people in the world and that we were alone in a quiet moment in time. It was seriously the greatest feeling knowing that was so in tune and that he had me and was protecting me. I realized I was still wearing my depends under my dress and told Justin, "Pull them down! Pull them down!" and he had no idea what I was referring to. I shouted "The baby is coming! Pull my depends down!" Sure enough, as soon as he pulled them off, he was crowning. One of the nurses started to reach to feel his head and Justin moved her hand said "Don't touch the baby," knowing what my wishes were. Then I pushed and his head came out to right under his nose and my body tried to stop there but I was feeling really done so I just kept pushing until his head was out. Justin knew to wait to touch the baby because he would turn on his own during the next contraction.

Then, at 5:52am on August 10th, I pushed his body out into Justin's hands where he was squatting behind me and Archie was earthside. It was just under 3 hours from the time I woke up with Scarlett to the time I had him! I'll take a short birth every time! I was still wearing my dress and shoes so I asked a nurse to pull my dress off and Justin handed my baby up between my legs and I held my boy for the first time. Justin realized we probably needed some photos so he washed his hands real quick and started taking photos on his phone.


 First moments with Archie



Cutting the cord and checking out the placenta. You can take the girl out of home birth but you can't take the home birth out of the girl:)

       
So proud and smitten! We did it and it was awesome!

Neither our doula nor the doctor made it in time for his birth. Salem only missed it by a few minutes and our doctor missed it by maybe 10. I hopped in the bed with the baby and was just smitten. One of our nurses came up with a towel to scrub him down and I asked her please not to, and that I would be happy to clean him up when I was ready. She seemed a little surprised by the request but was so respectful of my wishes. So they threw a gown over us both and I snuggled him. I had a quick moment of the birth high where the tears and laughter came. Then, I started bleeding quite a lot and I kept feeling for my placenta, ready for it to come out so that the bleeding didn't turn into a problem. My doctor was wonderful about planning a natural birth with me and really wanting to give me the birth that I wanted. I couldn't be more thankful for him!! We left the cord intact until it totally stopped pulsing which took quite a while. Finally, Justin cut the cord and I stood up trying to get gravity to work to get the placenta out and it came. I always hate delivering it. Once my doctor arrived and got dressed, he checked out my bleeding. The good news- I didn't tear for the first time! I was so happy! But I was bleeding more than he liked and my uterus wasn't clamping down as fast as he liked so he asked if he could give me intramuscular pitocin (which is a shot in the thigh) and I said yes. It seriously hurt. Then he said "I'm going to be a doctor and get your clots out." So he went in and manually pulled the clots out while I yelled from the pain. It was brutal. Then, just like that, we were done. Justin was my teammate and biggest cheerleader and advocate and it was the best birth yet! I felt so respected by all of our nurses and our doctor. He went on about how the nurses aren't used to people coming in having autonomy of their bodies and he was just thrilled for us and joked that we really didn't want a hospital birth. I couldn't have asked for a better birth team. Even now when I think about it, I can't help but smile and feel like it was just so awesome!




 Going home with our new baby 


In the end looking back, I still feel like God had planned every step along the way. From establishing care with THIS doctor at THIS hospital by "chance" at the very beginning of the pregnancy to going in at 39 weeks and getting a feel for what I was looking at so that my nerves were calm when it was actually time to go in, to what time we left the house and how quick and relieving the birth was. Praise to God who is faithful to meet my needs and who takes care of me in every detail of my life! The Creator of the stars and galaxies and of the earth, who formed my body to give birth so perfectly to this new soul who he formed so marvelously in my womb... It is just astonishing to me! Praise!

Archie has been such a wonderful newborn and nursing is going great. He is just the sweetest guy ever and I'm completely and utterly in love with him! His name, Archibald, means genuine, precious, truly brave and bold! I pray these characteristics are true to who he is in this life.

































Thank you, Mom at Tanya's Creative Images for the hospital photos and newborn photos!


Thanks for reading!

Until next time,
Brittany

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scarlett's Unassisted Birth Story + Photos

Silas' Homebirth Video...Finally!

Silas' Homebirth Story